Natural light is essential in every room of your house. However, it can be pretty difficult to bring natural light into your bathroom – especially if it is situated in a spot where you cannot install at least one window. If that’s the case, your only source of light is artificial, regardless of the time of day you’re using the bathroom. Aside from adding up on your electricity bills, the lack of windows in a bathroom calls for a proper ventilation system, which can cost a pretty penny to install and maintain. So, what can you do to avoid all these problems?
A skylight might be a great alternative to a vertical window. Given that your bathroom is on the uppermost floor of the house, and that it has relatively easy access to the roof, installing a skylight is a great idea – and it will probably bring you more advantages than vertical windows ever could.
- A skylight will bring natural light into your bathroom. It is a natural, sustainable, and best of all, a free light source that will help you save on those electricity bills. Depending on the season, you could get between 5 and 10 hours of bright natural light from a skylight. And while you might not feel it right from the start, it will definitely make a difference in the long run.
- Skylights are sources of fresh air, which would hardly make it into your bathroom without a window or a really pricey vent system. Fresh air is essential for humid environments like the bathroom – as it helps keep foul smells away, reduces the risk of mold formation, lets out steam, and offers all the benefits of an exhaust system without the big bucks.
- A skylight offers more privacy than a vertical window, without compromising on natural light and fresh air. If you’re trying to decide between installing a skylight or a vertical window, skylights have the advantage of offering you more privacy. If the placement of the vertical window would call for blinds or curtains which would impede the circulation of fresh air and limit the amount of light, go for a skylight. Installation prices are nearly the same, and you won’t have to bother as much with a skylight. After all, no one can peep at you straight down from the roof.
- Skylights are aesthetically pleasing. Natural light coming straight from above will complement any design choice – from modern and minimalist to classic and rustic.
- Automated skylights are a thing – you can get ones that can open and close with a touch of a button on a remote control, or even ones with rain sensors that will automatically close when it rains. There are even skylights that come with solar batteries that charge during the day, so you won’t have to worry about the window being yet another waste of electricity.
Skylights are definitely a great choice for bathrooms – we’d say they are even better than vertical windows, as you don’t have to worry about privacy as much. With that out of the way, a bathroom skylight offers you all the benefits of a direct source of natural light and fresh air.